Thursday, March 12, 2009

Nihao

Hello everyone. This is the new official blog for me, Richard L. Martin. I am a Yang Style Taijiquan practicioner in Fayetteville, NC. I have studied this art for over 13 years from some great teachers. Lately (the last year or so) I have really become more dedicated to the study of this art in it's complete form.

Frankly, I have been disheartened by the state of Taijiquan in America. Many learn it only for the meditative and health aspects. That is great, but Taiji is still a martial art. If you only learn it for the meditative and health aspects, then you should not be teaching it. If you cannot actually perform the moves with a combative, non-compliant training partner, I don't feel you should be teaching it.

There is a whole other side to this as well. If you are not displaying actual taiji principles, while performing it solo and with a partner, again, you should not be teaching it. If you don't know about the taiji principles...I think you are getting the point. There are quite a few teachers that in my opinion should not be teaching it.

I know this is true of all the martial arts, but Taijiquan is my martial art, the one that I love, the one that I have decided to study and to learn, and the one that I have chosen to teach.

So, trying not to be two "Yang" in my first post may not have worked...but,

Here I will share my musings on this art, as well as link to others that I feel demonstrate good taiji. My first link will be to Master Jou Tsung Hwa, who authored the book The Tao of Taijiquan. Shou e bagua, jiao ta wuxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment