Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What is taiji?

So, I was thinking alot about taiji and its relationship to other martial arts. Specifically because of some conversation on youtube about a push hands controversy that has now carried over to Bullshido. It really doesn't seem like many people understand what taiji is. When trying to explain it, a lot of us get mis-quoted and sucked into other discussions, such as the purpose of martial arts, new training vs. traditional training, lineage, etc.

Now, I have always been an advocate that taiji is a martial art. What martial arts means to me has changed quite a bit throughout my life, from the desire to be able to defned myself(kid), to the desire to be able to "kick butt"(teen), do my job (soldier), finally it became about the warrior philosphy.

I won't get into the warrior philosophy here, what I will say though, is that being trained in warrior arts (like the samurai) allows us to eliminate fear and more fully experience life. Not just pound someone. I digress though from the original question.

What is Taijiquan?

My newest simple answer is a martial art with all the details.

The applications exist in many other martial arts, but there is still a difference. Quite often I have heard that what we all end up doing in the end is taiji, no matter what martial art. My teachers teacher in china was 92, he did not posses the strength to "whoop ass", what he did have was a very refined technique and way of moving. He was still efficatious at 92, able to uproot and topple his students.

There are alot more conversations to deal with here. Patience, this conversation will unfold just as a flower. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment