Friday, June 25, 2010

Self Defense

The dojo that I am associated with here in Fayetteville is doing self-defense seminars for different organizations. I am especially proud of this fact because I think it is very important to work with the community. I also think it is very important for everyone to be exposed to the concepts of self defense.

I was reading another practitioner's blog complaining that this fostered the impression that all a person needs is a two hour class to be prepared for self defense. That is ludicrous to me. In my other professional life, I know very well that a person simply does not know what they do not know until they are exposed to it and then consequently learn what they do not know.

I am thinking specifically of a conversation that I had with a young lady earlier this week. She was interested in learning something that she could defend herself with. She said that she liked to think that she could handle herself in a situation. I went around the counter to demonstrate a concept and have to say that in my opinion, even if she tried her hardest to defend herself against a larger stronger attacker, she would not be able to start. I find this is more common than some of us may think.

In the self defense classes that we teach, we at least encourage the participants to strike, some of them for the first time in their lives. The most important thing that we can teach in a two hour seminar is mental. "Be aware of your surrounding". If you or a loved one has not been to a self defense class, (I don't mean a trial martial arts class, especially Tae Kwon Do) then you should find one and please attend it. Learn some of the basics, and then I highly encourage you to find a legitimate martial arts school that teaches martial arts, not sports. If you do not learn techniques that can be applied against a non-compliant partner, find another school. If your instructor cannot perform the technique against a non compliant stronger partner, find another school.

Your life is too valuable to fall for the hucksters and shams that exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment