Saturday, October 23, 2010

Master Martin's Magical Martial Tai Chi

So, what do you think of my new school name?

No, I am not serious. Today I went to a martial arts tournament here in Fayetteville, NC. There were two objectives. 1. I wanted to meet other like minded individuals in town, and 2. I thought that our school would support it next year if it was a good tournament. Well, let's just say that I left early.

Some things were however confirmed. There are too many teachers that want to be called master, sensei or sifu. As I was leaving I saw a young girl wearing a gi that was emblazoned with the name of the school on the back. Master Soandso's School of Karate. I just can't imagine, maybe that is what I am doing wrong, hence the funny name that we came up with on the way home.

Though there are legitimate martial artists and schools in Fayetteville, I did not see them there. The competitors were not well trained and the competition itself was just weak.

I really hope that the martial arts community here starts connecting more and that we get some venues for the kids and adults alike that would like to test their skills in a level appropriate manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment