Friday, November 19, 2010

the week's lessons - basics and mastery

I am sitting here eating my Shrimp Mei Fun with spicy curry sauce reflecting on the week so far, and thinking about some things that have been standing out.

1. So much of the martial arts that we learn, as beginners, is not understood for years to come. I have experienced this myself, I have read about it, and heard it from students. Specifically, sharing this past weekend with one of my favorite students, who is also a student of Aikido, we were talking about a quote she had found in Aikido Journal. The quote was about focusing on kozushi. (Kuzushi (崩し:くずし) is a Japanese term for unbalancing an opponent in the martial arts.)I shared the quote with others, but not before I did more research (remember, I do not practice a Japanese Martial Art, nor do I speak Japanese.)During my research I found numerous stories of teachers that had shared an exercise called Happo No Kuzushi with students. In most cases, these students felt, at the time of learning it, that the exercise was just basic, only to realize years later that this basic was really a key to advanced martial arts.

I have my own Taiji based stories about this. How the more advanced I get, the more I appreciate and find that further advancement comes from additional practice and work with the basics. Interestingly enough, this view is in direct opposition to many folks, even those that have taken martial arts for quite a while. Many artists want to learn more, more techniques, more tricks, more moves, more forms. If we go back to the Taiji Classics, we should recall the Song of the Thirteen Postures. 8 gates representing applications, 5 energies relate to directions of stepping, these 13 postures are it, the most basic of Taiji. It all stems from the 13 original postures. It is all contained in the 13 original postures.

2. So much of mastery in anything that we do comes back to the basics.

Just like the students that took years to appreciate the basic exercises that we are given, my realization for a while is that Mastery truly is about the basics; understanding the basics, truly internalizing them, and utilizing them. One of my business associates shared the definition of mastery as the uncommon application of the basics.

Isn’t that really what Taiji teaches us, to take the basics and adapt them? Isn’t that really what the five families have done? Taken the 13 postures and shown us many more ways to apply them. I think it is.

I have even been reminded about this recently in Taiji. Ll of my current students are beginners. My classes focus on the basics, stances, leg strength, and the form. Daily I practice these with my students, and after a year of having not seen someone, they viewed a video of me, and noticed improvement. I attribute this visible improvement in my Taiji, not to any new forms, exercises or knowledge, but to an increased understanding an practice of the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment